Written by – @economiserly
As a data scientist, I’ve visualised the data on crypto adoption (with maps). I was surprised by what I found. Let’s take a look:
Number of Google searches for Crypto:
What these maps show:
- Google Search Trends data on key crypto terms.
- Google Trends data is provided as an index from 0 to 100.
- 0 = countries with negligible searches for a keyword.
- 100 = country with the most searches for a keyword.
- Data is from last 12 months
Number of Google searches for #Bitcoin:
Top 5 countries by searches for “Bitcoin”:
- El Salvador
Number of Google searches for #Ethereum:
Top 5 countries by searches for “Ethereum”
- North Macedonia
Number of Google searches for @MetaMask :
Top 5 countries by searches for “MetalMask”:
Number of Google searches for @coingecko:
Top 5 countries by searches for “Coingecko”:
- Burkina Faso
Number of Google searches for #p2e (Play to Earn)
Top 5 countries by searches for “P2E”:
- Crypto is not just a “fad” for advanced economies
- It’s truly a global phenomenon
- There’s huge interest in crypto in East Asia and South East Asia
- US or the UK doesn’t appear in the top 5 countries for these searches
- Search Trends are highly correlated with crypto adoption, but not a perfect measure of it.
And that’s it. Those maps took a surprising amount of time to program… If there’s any other topics you’d like me to visualise just let me know
If you liked this, be sure to follow @economiserly where I’ll be continuing to post interesting data on crypto.